to top

When You Don’t Feel Like You’re Enough

You’re not pretty enough. Does that phrase sound familiar? For many of us, it’s a recurring echo in our minds each and every day – when we first wake up, when our hair just won’t fall right, when we can’t find a thing to wear, when we’re hanging out with friends, when we see a commercial of others looking so easy, breezy, beautiful, and again, and again and again. Maybe you’re not like me, and you don’t struggle with any of that at all. Maybe instead you can relate to one (or some) of these other lies we tell ourselves:

1. I’m not good enough

2. I’m unworthy of love

3. My past defines me

4. I’m a failure

5. I don’t have a purpose

6. I’m not talented

7. I’m not important

8. Everyone hates me

9. I’m not who I should have been

10. My life doesn’t matter

I’m here today to encourage you, as well as myself, to SET OURSELVES FREE from the lies that we allow to so easily entangle our seconds, minutes, hours and days.

You ARE beautiful. You ARE good enough. You ARE worthy of love. You ARE more than your past. You ARE NOT your failures. You DO have a distinct, specific purpose. You ARE talented. You ARE important. News flash…everyone DOESN’T hate you. You AREN’T defined by who you “should have been.” Your life DOES matter – so much, in fact, that other people’s lives depend on it. Don’t give up on yourself. You are here to love, serve and share goodness while you’re alive, and to me, that seems like a life that matters. A life that just might change the world. A life that is full of purpose.

Love and Hugs,

Juli Wilson

***

What are your thoughts? Leave a comment below.

Julianne Wilson

Striving to make the world a little brighter.

• Amanda

This is perfect! <3

February 15, 2014 at 6:28 pm Reply
  • Tim Nolan

Very nice, thanks

February 15, 2014 at 6:35 pm Reply
  • Caila

you are such an inspiration! you and your husband both have inspired me so much to get out and BE a better friend, girlfriend and daughter.

you are truly doing God’s work, you are amazing people ♡

February 15, 2014 at 6:37 pm Reply
  • Ashley

I love this so much! It’s perfect and gave me a different view on myself

February 15, 2014 at 6:42 pm Reply
  • Julie Kathleen Bourke

I love this, I have to say my only issue with myself is my weight I struggle with my weight because of my epileptic medication. I could say most of the things you listed because of my disability it stops me from doing a lot of things it stopped me from finishing high school but I went back 10 years later and finished, although it has stopped me from working, and I knew what I wanted to do when I was 14, but I do not let any of this get to me. I had a stroke when I was 5 among other things so I knew my life wasn’t going to be easy. I am just happy to be alive

February 15, 2014 at 6:48 pm Reply
  • Ericka

I actually cried reading this, I struggle with all of these statements and this just made me realize that I am good enough, no matter what anyone says. Thank you so much Juli!

February 15, 2014 at 7:00 pm Reply
    • Ian Campbell

Hi Ericka, I don’t know you and it doesn’t matter, but I listen to Joel Osteen Ministries, and as a Christian myself I like to listen to positive things and he is positive. The one video I recommend is the one on I AM, it talks about the words you speak after you say the words I AM, your biggest critique is YOU, your the one telling yourself the lies that your ARE NOT. I am glad you like what Juli says, but listen to what Joel has to say about what God thinks you are, then you will know just how beautiful you really are. God sent His one and only Son Jesus to die for you, so he thinks you are special and worth dying for, It doesn’t come any better than that.
      God Bless you and I hope you check Joel Osteen out he is brilliant.

February 16, 2014 at 1:45 pm Reply
  • Hf

My husband cuts me down so much, that I have started to believe those lies. Lord meet me when I feel Ican’t move on.

February 15, 2014 at 7:06 pm Reply
  • Tori

February 15, 2014 at 7:18 pm Reply
  • Stacia Mia (staciamia)

I have had the worst day and this made me feel so much better <3 Thank you!

February 15, 2014 at 7:42 pm Reply
  • Tonya Wimberly

Well said sweet girl!

February 15, 2014 at 9:12 pm Reply
  • Brian H.

Very well said Juli

February 15, 2014 at 10:02 pm Reply
  • andreaskaggs

Love this. Thank you for this fresh perspective. Sometimes, I can’t believe that I still struggle with these lies, but thank God His truth, the truth you have reminded me of, will set me free.

February 15, 2014 at 10:33 pm Reply
  • Jessica Walters

wonderful post! Thanks for sharing Juli! I love your blog and I have the same background on my phone. Love gold dots 🙂

Jessica

February 15, 2014 at 10:43 pm Reply
  • Sarai

You are an inspiration to me. Thank you for always reminding me of Gods love and how it is indeed possible to live out Gods love in your life everyday. Thank you so so much

February 15, 2014 at 11:12 pm Reply
  • Michelle Sedeño

8 things from your list is what I think of myself before. But when I received God, I became a new creation. People might not like me, but I know that God does. I am the apple of His eye. I am important. I am beautiful. He loves me more anyone combined in this world can do. And every day of my life I am happy and contented because I know these. There are still moments that I doubt myself, but I always come back to Him and remember the love that He gave me.

February 16, 2014 at 6:02 am Reply
  • Story of your hearts

I needed to hear this! Loved it! xo

February 16, 2014 at 8:18 am Reply
  • Bernice

So often I have found its the object of my affection that dictates whether I am happy or not. What I mean is that if I am lovingly trying to nurture self ( which I’m actually commanded to die to ) THEN I’m going to reap the misery that living to please self ( feeding pride, vanity , jealousy, fear…) CAN only produce, however when Jesus is all in all to me, and my heart is filled with delight in His presence, THEN, the very presence of pride and vanity in my heart is the most obvious and grevious thing, along with trying to attach self-centred significance to my looks, or any other part of my life, rather than my Lord….try reserving nothing for self and abandoning All in pursuit of walking with Him… and just SEE how He will work in your affections!
    I loved this small excerpt I read this morning, I’m not sure of its author…
    O, God, Who lifts the grieving head,
    Blow away the ashes,
    But let Your gentle hand upon my brow,
    Be my only crown of beauty.
    Comfort me so deeply, My Healer,
    That I seek no other comfort.

February 16, 2014 at 11:17 am Reply
  • tylerhandmade

I’m fortunate enough that growing up I was always told that I was pretty, and my boyfriend is always commenting that I have a natural beauty and that he loves that I don’t wear and don’t need makeup.

Not wearing makeup makes my life simpler, save me money,and most of all I don’t have one beauty product that I “can’t leave the house without” because I’m satisfied with my natural appearance. Thank’s for the reminder.

Tyler
    onelittleblackdress.com

February 16, 2014 at 2:49 pm Reply
  • Ami Adams

Needed this today. Thanks for sharing this with us.

February 16, 2014 at 6:15 pm Reply
  • Natalia

Love This!

February 16, 2014 at 7:26 pm Reply
  • Stefi

Oh i can’t thank you enough for this post…I’ve lived with these lies for most of my life…and i’m trying my best to overcome them.Thanks again:)

February 17, 2014 at 8:33 pm Reply
  • fmu_mj

Fantastic encouragement!

Will just have to share with the Future Marriage University (FMU) community at: https://www.facebook.com/FMUniversity.

And for the one who is struggling to believe they’re worthy of love (#2 above), let this post on our FMU Date Night Advice blog encourage you: http://f-m-u.com/Blog/love-something-find-love-part-1/.

February 18, 2014 at 9:42 pm Reply
  • Sam

Thank you! I was having a bad day and really needed the reminder that what happened today doesn’t define me.

February 20, 2014 at 2:41 pm Reply
  • Maria

these tips will truly help me to move forward juli. thanks for sharing

March 9, 2014 at 12:19 am Reply
  • jaimermeeks

Juli this is so good. And I think it’s so important for us to remember that we are masterpieces of a perfect artist. Thank you for writing this.

September 17, 2014 at 12:39 pm Reply
  • Mari

Loved reading this one. I struggle with looking different from other women. I’m 22 and literally look 14 Lol. I see women who are so flawless or maybe have something better than me and it makes me upset.myself I compare myself to others on a daily basis. It also takes a toll on my boyfriend because he is unable to live his life and talk with other women due to me always being jelous whether it’s in person or through social media. He also gets hurt because I accuse him of wanting to be with other women or get scared that he’ll find someone better. It makes him sad and upset that I think that way and it isn’t that he’s a bad person, it’s the lies the devil tells me about myself but he gets upset thinking he is not doing something right. I want to get to a point where I can be confident in myself and not get anxiety every time a message from s girl pops up on my boyfriends Facebook. Everytime I try not to be jealous and think more of myself, it fails. My boyfriend tells me over and over how beautiful i am, how much he loves me, and how he will never leave me but the devil just keeps pumping those sick lies in my head.

September 20, 2015 at 4:37 pm Reply
  • Mari

When I say my boyfriend talks to other women I just mean friends or associates Lol

September 20, 2015 at 4:40 pm Reply